Frequently asked question about the Refugee minor program

Are you worried about how you can make a new life in Victoria? Here are answers to commonly asked questions about this program.

The Refugee minor program provides services to assist you to develop the skills and knowledge you need to settle in Australia.

Your case manager can help you address a wide range of problems you may be experiencing and can assist you to develop some solutions.

You may be looking for answers to some of the common questions found below. If you can’t find the answer you are looking for, speak to your case manager.

  • How do I manage my money?

    Program staff can help you apply for and receive your full entitlements from Centrelink. We can also assist you with managing your money and setting up bank accounts.

  • What can I do if I’m worried about my health?

    Program staff can advise you of the whereabouts of your local medical clinic and help you find a doctor with whom you are comfortable. We can also assist you to apply for a Medicare card and Health Care Card. You can also discuss your health concerns with your case manager, and they can attend medical appointments with you if you need support.

  • How do I find a job?

    Program staff can put you in contact with services that can help you to develop job seeking skills. These services will teach you how to apply for jobs in Australia. We can also help you to understand your rights and entitlements at work.

  • What are my education options?

    You can talk to your case manager about your hopes and goals for the future. Program staff can put you in contact with advisors to help you choose an education pathway most suitable for you. We can also link you with services to improve your English.

  • What if I have problems at school?

    The case manager can visit you at school and talk to your teachers about how to best support you. Your case manager can work with you to find the resources you need for school and education.

  • How can I reunite with my family?

    Program staff will work with the Red Cross to help you find your family in Australia or overseas. If your family is found overseas, program staff can help you to access migration or legal support services for assistance with a visa application.