Leaving care

Leaving Care has a range of services and supports to assist young people aged 16 to 21 years of age to transition from care services, previously known as out of home care, to independent living and adulthood.

Leaving care services include:

  • Better futures (previously known as Leaving Care Support Services, post care support, information and referral, Springboard, Aboriginal leaving care support services, and mentoring)
  • Home Stretch
  • Transition planning
  • Leaving care hotline

Better Futures

Better Futures provides flexible and tailored support as you transition from out of home care to independence.

To be eligible for Better Futures support, you must be in kinship care, foster care or residential care on or after your 16th birthday and on one of the following orders Care by Secretary Order, Long-Term Care Order, Family Reunification Order.

A Better Futures worker meets with you and your case managers when you are about to turn 16 years and is available to help you transition from care services, when your Child Protection Order finishes, up until 21 years of age.

Better Futures includes:

  • Case work support
  • Information and advice
  • Money (Flexible funding)

Better Futures provides support across a range of life areas including:

  • Health and wellbeing
  • Housing and living skills
  • Education (including TAFE and University)
  • Employment
  • Community and cultural connections (including mentoring)

Home Stretch

Home Stretch provides young people in care with a more gradual and supported transition to independent living.  This means you can get the support you need up to the age of 21 with the support from a Better Futures worker. Home Stretch is part of the Better Futures program.

Through Home Stretch you can stay with your kinship or foster carer until you turn 21 years of age – your carer would need to agree.  Your carer can get an allowance to help support you.

If you are moving from care to independent living, you can get an allowance to help you with housing costs like rent and bills.  This payment will go to an agency who will work with you to support your living arrangements. 

Through Home Stretch you will be eligible for a Better Futures case worker support, information and advice and flexible funding.  

Home Stretch rolled out across Victorian in late 2019 and in 2020, the Victorian State budget committed 68.7million over four years and ongoing funding to make Home Stretch universal  

This investment means from 1 January 2021, all* young people turning 18 years of age and due to leave care will be able to remain with their foster carer or kinship carer supported by an allowance, case work and flexible funding, or for those leaving residential care, to transition to other housing options (e.g. private rental) supported by an allowance, case work and flexible funding.

From 1 July 2021, all young people from 16 years of age and due to leave care will be eligible for Home Stretch support until their 21st birthday.

*Compass remains the primary leaving care option in COMPASS locations (Greater Bendigo, North East Melbourne area, Hume Moreland area, Brimbank/Melton and Western Melbourne areas) until 31 March 2021.

For more information, see Home Stretch frequently asked questions for carers (word).


COMPASS is a leaving care program for young people (aged 16.5 to 18.5 years upon entry) who are living in or have recently left out of home care. 

Compass is delivered by Anglicare and Vincent care and aims to support young people to create a positive transition to adulthood. 

COMPASS support includes:  Case worker, Education, Employment, Health and wellbeing, Community and cultural connections, A range of housing options

The COMPASS program is operating in the following areas:  North East Melbourne, Loddon, (Greater Bendigo), Western Melbourne, Brimbank/Melton. 

For more information about COMPASS Social Impact Bond, see the Compass Leaving care website or email GCM Compass.

Leaving care planning

From 15.9 years of age, you will be participating in the development of your 15 plus Care and Transition plan. This plan will include supports you will need to help you transition successfully from out-of-home care into independence. 

For more information, see Transition Planning for leaving care on our Providers website.

Leaving care hotline

If you are leaving care services in Victoria you can call the Leaving Care Hotline to speak to someone for advice or for a referral to a range of support services.

The Leaving Care Hotline can provide you with information about:

  • Finding accommodation or staying in existing accommodation
  • Staying in education or returning to studying
  • Looking for a job, or applying for on the job (vocational) training
  • Keeping a current job
  • Re-connecting with family
  • Financial help to maintain independence, if the young person has already left state care
  • Linking with other support services.

Melbourne City Mission's Frontyard Service manages our Leaving Care Hotline. You can use it to connect with your nearest Better Futures service. For more information, see under 'Contacts'.

Other leaving care programs

There are a range of programs and supports available to you when leaving care.

Melbourne City Mission Leaving Care Hotline
1300 532 846

9 am to 8 pm weekdays and 10 am to 6 pm on weekends and public holidays.