Support services for young people leaving care

There are many support services available to help you transition from care to independent living

Information and advice


SORTLI ('sort out your life') is a fun, informative and easy-to-navigate, free mobile app to help you transition to independence.

The SORTLI App has step by step guides for navigating some of lifes big challenges like, renting a place live, finding a job, getting a licence, getting into TAFE or uni, managing money, understanding legal rights, and mental health support.

The SORTLI app is available from itunes (ios) and google play store (android).

See a short video about the Sortli mobile app.  

Go Your Own Way Info Kit

The Go Your Own Way Info Kit is filled with resources and information to help you, caseworkers, and carers plan for your transition to adulthood and independence. 

Youthlaw Legal Pod Program

The Youthlaw Legal Pod Program is free service providing a broad range of legal assistance and support for up to 3 years to young people who have recently left care services.

If you are aged 18 to 25 years and have left care services the program pairs you on with a group of private lawyers (pod).  

For more information about the Legal Pod Program, email the Managing Lawyer or phone (03) 9611 2412 for a confidential discussion.


Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA)

If you are leaving care services you may be eligible for a payment of up to $1500 to cover costs under the Commonwealth's Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA).  TILA is designed to pay for items such as education, counselling, medical costs, fridge, driver's licence or any other agreed items.

To be eligible you should be 15 to 25 years of age and leaving or who have already left care services.

Melbourne City Mission administers the TILA program in Victoria.

For more information about TILA eligibility is available on the Department of Social Services website or by calling the Melbourne City Mission Leaving Care Hotline on 1300 532 846.

Housing and living skills

Leaving Care Housing and Support Initiative

If you are leaving care on a Care by Secretary Order or Long Term Care Order you can apply for the Leaving Care Housing and Support Initiative program. Referrals to the program are made by the DHHS placement coordinator.

For more information on the Leaving Care Housing and Support Initiative, contact your Better Futures worker or call the Leaving Care Hotline 1300 532 846.

There are a limited number of transitional houses available. 

Education and training

See the Department of Education's Program page for a list of educational programs that are available to you such as:


Free TAFE for priority courses offer training courses across the state.  Free TAFE for priority courses are for a young person who is under 20 years of age, or are 20 years of age or older and wanting to upskill. 

Raising Expectations

Raising Expectations provides support for a young person leaving care or who has left care and who wants to go onto higher education and university.  The Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare have partnered with Federation, La Trobe and Swinburne Universities to help by providing financial, academic and personal support. 

For more information, see:

Melbourne City Mission Leaving Care Hotline
1300 532 846

9 am to 8 pm weekdays and 10 am to 6 pm on weekends and public holidays.