Non-mains water concession

Low-income Victorians not connected to mains water supply are eligible for a rebate on their purchase of water for domestic use.

What does this concession apply to?

Non-mains water purchased for domestic use, for example:

  • carted water for rainwater tanks
  • water bought via a billing agent or water cooperative
  • water bought via an embedded network.

Who can apply for the concession?

An account holder who holds one of the following eligible concession cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card.

How much is the concession?

Rebate amounts for 2023-24 are:

  • $135 for spending from $190 to $543.99
  • $270 for spending from $544 to $1089.99
  • $405 for spending $1090 and above.

You can apply up to three times a year, for a maximum annual rebate of $405.

How do I apply for the concession?

Application forms are available from water carters or by phoning the Concessions Information Line on 1800 658 521 (toll free). 

Applications for each year will close on 30 June of the following year.

Applications must include copies of paid invoices or receipts.

The department will check your concession card details with Centrelink and provide the concession as a rebate.

  • How will my concession be paid?

    Concessions are paid into the applicant’s bank account.

  • Can I send my application by email?

    Yes. Make sure you have clearly scanned or photographed your form and all other documents. Unreadable documents will delay your application.

    Send your documents as attachments to your email, not in the body of the email.

    Send your complete application to the rebate email address -

  • What is an embedded network?

    Embedded networks are often used to provide utility services to retirement villages and caravan parks, apartment complexes and social housing developments.

    Water is bought in bulk by the accommodation manager and sold on to residents. The network may be entirely managed by the accommodation manager, commonly the case in caravan parks, or by a company operating the network on their behalf. Some of the larger companies providing this service include Network Energy Services, WIN Energy and Energy-ON.

  • I live in a lifestyle or retirement village – how do I apply for the concession?

    In many lifestyle or retirement villages, the village management applies for the concession on behalf of their residents. 

    Participating villages will collect your concession card information when you move in and ask for your consent to apply on your behalf. The village will apply at the end of each financial year for all eligible residents.

    Check with your village for more details.

    If your village does not apply on your behalf, you will need to submit an application along with your invoices for the year.