The Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme makes most prescription medicine affordable for concession cardholders.
Eligible concession cardholders are entitled to a discount on most prescription medicines. Once you and your family reach the safety net threshold for the year (conditions apply), most medicines are free.
To receive the scheme's medication at the discounted price, you must have one of these cards:
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
- Health Care Card
- Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) Gold, Orange or White Card.
The co-payment amount (cost) of the scheme's medication is indexed on 1 January every year and information on the scheme co-payment amount is updated at www.pbs.gov.au.
For more information and to apply
- Show your concession card at the pharmacy to receive the concessional rate.
- Visit the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme website at www.pbs.gov.au or phone 1800 020 613